FAQ A lot of questions are asked by different people and here some of the plus answers to them:
Does Travel to Teach Uganda help only children?
– No Travel to Teach Uganda does not help only children, but we deal with all underprivileged Ugandans which are children, women and men but, with a special focus on children and women. We do support women and men projects whom we find organised or those who approach us at any time.
What is the process of enrolling children in Travel to Teach Uganda for education?
– Our Social workers visit slums and villages to motivate parents and guardian to send their children to schools for education. The child is selected on the basis of :- being an orphan , an economic criteria, normally here family income should be less than 50 USD per month; other factors taken into consideration are the family size, number of dependents etc. We first enrol the child and begin his/her education and monitor the child for regularity of attendance and parents’ interest for a while before it is assigned for getting a sponsor.
How many children do you select from a family for sponsorship?
– First we consider the annual income of the family. The criterion is that it should be between, 1 Cents – 50 USD per month. We select 1 child only from a small family for getting a sponsor. If in a large family there are more dependents, we give sponsorship to a second child, and if the third child is a girl we may sponsor her also as a special case, in order to promote the girl child education, we give priority for girl child a bit more. We also give priority to the single parent child and the handicapped ones.
Do the Sponsored Children correspond with their sponsor parents?
– Yes. The sponsored children write and draw to their sponsor parents and also send a New Years Greeting Cards with their present photograph in the month of December or January of every year. As and when the sponsor parents send special letters/ queries/ greetings, the sponsored child is encouraged to respond appropriately. In case the child is not able to write, the parent/ guardian respond on his/ her behalf along with a drawing made by the child.
Can I send gift/ money to my sponsored children? Can I also send gifts for other children of my sponsored child’s class/ school?
– Yes you can, and we will make sure that the child/ person receives the gifts. And if you want to send gifts to the sponsored child’s class/ school we will get the sponsored child to distribute the gifts on your behalf. Photographs taken on the occasion of gifts presentation will be sent to you with details of expenditure.
Can a child be visited at school/ home?
– At any time the sponsor parent can visit the child or the project he/she is sponsoring so long as you let Travel to Teach know about you visit and we plain for it. This also helps you to see and witness that what you are sponsoring is present and moving.
How can the child/person come to know that I am sponsoring her/ him?
– The child/person comes to know that she/ he is sponsored by you, when she/ he comes to know about the name of the sponsor parent once they receive Letters/ Greetings, school tuitions, clothes from the sponsor routed. As a matter of policy, we do not hand out the address of the sponsor parent as some don’t want to, except when the sponsor parent gives us a go a hand.
Can I correspond with my sponsored child/ person?
– Yes, you can. If your sponsored child/person is capable of writing well, she/ he will respond or the concerned person will respond on the child’s /person behalf. This will be coordinated by the Marketing Department. I may sponsor a child/person.
If I stop sponsorship after a few years will the parents of the child approach/ harass me? Do they know that I am the sponsor?
– The parents and the child or the person are aware that the child is sponsored, but the address of the sponsor is not given to them as a matter of policy. In the event of continuous communication between the sponsor parent and the sponsored child, the child comes to know of the sponsor. Hence, we suggest that communication be routed through Travel to Teach Uganda which will avoid any undue demand from the sponsor. Before we get a sponsor to anyone here, we first brief them that the sponsor is just helping but any time she /he may stop due to healthy or financial problem. It is at your discretion that the sponsorship support is continued or stopped. Hence nobody except Travel to Teach Uganda will correspond with you as your address is not passed on to anyone.
How do I volunteer with Travel to Teach Uganda and what do I need?
– This is so easy, you just need to contact us and we will let you know. You can choose to volunteer in many things though you’re professional or though what you can do, things like farming, school teaching, motor mechanics, constrictions, fire fighter, and so many others you can do, you will be welcomed though Travel to Teach Uganda.
Will I receive regular information about child’s development or Project developments?
– We will keep you informed of the child’s progress/ project from time to time. In the month of December/ January the sponsored child/project writes to his/ her sponsor parent a term letter regarding all development and also sends New Year Greeting Card along with activity photograph. We also send you a report for the child/project you are sponsoring. Any special queries by the sponsor will also be replied to by the child/ Travel to Teach Uganda as the case may be.
Can I extend my support after the tenure of sponsorship under Primary Education?
– Yes. You can. In this case either you can extend your support to the some child in secondly school or may choose to join an institute of what she/he feel like doing or you can take another sponsorship under primary education to support another needy child.